Sunday, August 18, 2013

Blueberry Bran Muffins

I have a kid who loves bran muffin.  Weird?  Perhaps, but I am not going to judge his food choices, particularly when they lean towards healthy. 

At some point in time, I had picked up a box of All Bran in an effort to eat healthier.  When I decided that chomping on a bowl of sticks in the morning really wasn't all that satisfying, I searched the web looking for recipes to use up the rest of the box.

I found this recipe over on allrecipes.com. and modified it slightly.  The little guy loves blueberries, so I swapped out the originally called for raisins with blueberries, either fresh or frozen.  I added a teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter, and at times have subbed in either pumpkin pie or apple pie spice.  Instead of 12 muffins, I make 9, filling the cups up to the brim.  Everyone knows muffin tops are the best part of the muffin!

Blueberry Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups All-Bran® Cereal
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 whole egg
2/3 cup brown sugar
1  teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup flour
1 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.

Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended. Fold in blueberries and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.


No comments: