Monday, August 25, 2008

Happy Birthday David!!

OK, I am a day late BUT better late than never, right?

Since Madeleine is aware of the concept of a birthday (I think) I figured we'd start celebrating each of our birthdays. OK, who am I kidding, it is an excuse to make a cake!!

David isn't a big fan of chocolate cake or really sweets) but I know he does like carrot cake. I found a recipe for an Orange-Pineapple Carrot Cake that sounded good plus, bonus, it was made in a 9 by 13 pan (no layers!). Madeleine cast her vote for an Elmo cake but I convinced her Daddy would like the carrot cake better. It was simple enough to put together and it tasted great. One change I would make would be too add a little more spice; maybe some nutmeg and a touch of cloves. I cut the recipe for the frosting down by 1/3 and still had plenty to cover the cake. I grated some fresh nutmeg on the top. YUM.

Of course, instead of singing 'Happy Birthday Daddy' she sang 'Happy Birthday Madeleine'. I told her it was daddy's birthday. 'No mommy. Ma'line's birthday'.

No comments: