Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sigh ... 40

I turned 40 at the end of September but kind of forgot about it. Yep, it was that memorable. Actually, that was Christopher's first fever (and a high one at that) and I spent about 4 days with a cranky infant who felt like he was on fire. Trips to the doctor and the ER that weekend.

Truth be told, I don't feel 40, although admittedly I don't know what 40 is supposed to feel like. I spend most of my days yawning but then again I have a 5 month old who doesn't seem to need to sleep.

Perhaps I didn't find it too bad since so many people I know turned 40 this year. Yep, courtesy of Facebook, I am *friends* with about 20 people I graduated high school with and 2 I graduated college with, all who have turned or will be turning 40 this year. Add to that the 4 or 5 *friends* who graduated a year behind me and turn 40 next year ... well everyone seems to be doing it!

So, to put into perspective exactly how long ago 40 years was, here are some notable events of 1969:
  • Richard Nixon Becomes President of the United States
  • 250,000 march on Washington in protest at the Vietnam War
  • Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin become the first men to walk on the moon
  • PBS established (and Sesame Street debuts!)
  • Chappaquiddick
  • Charles Manson
  • Woodstock
  • Creation of ARPANET, the predecessor of the Internet
  • The Beatles' last public performance
Hmm, maybe 40 years WAS a long time ago!

No comments: