Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis

I'm working on those New Year's Goals I posted about! 

My subscription to Cooking Light ran out last year and I did not subscribe again because I thought the magazine started to decline.  Issue after issue was making its way into the box for Half Priced Books without even one recipe marked to try.  Last weekend I decided to check out the magazine index online and see what the Jan/Feb issue looked like.

I'll say I was pleasantly surprised.  There were a handful of recipes that looked pretty good and the Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis was one of them.  Meat loaf in any form tends to disappear off of the kids plates although I'll admit to chopping the onions pretty finely in my food processor; Madeleine has decided lately that she doesn't like onions because one of her daycare friends doesn't like them.  I'm sure she'll catch on pretty soon but until then the food processor is my friend.

These were good and we'll go into our meat loaf rotation.  I did make sure that none of the diced cheese was showing so all of it wouldn't ooze out while cooking.  Served this with some potato salad (courtesy of the HyVee deli) and a spinach salad. 

Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 meat loaf)


1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 1 ounce)
Cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup, divided
3 ounces white cheddar cheese, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425°.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs; cook 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.

While breadcrumbs cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Combine onion mixture, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup ketchup, and remaining ingredients. Shape into 6 (4 x 2-inch) loaves on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; spread 2 teaspoons ketchup over each. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until done.

Nutritional Information
Calories:256
Fat:11.6g (sat 5.7g,mono 3.9g,poly 0.9g)
Protein:28.5g
Carbohydrate:11.2g
Fiber:0.9g
Cholesterol:112mg
Iron:2.6mg
Sodium:620mg
Calcium:159mg

No comments: