Friday, June 17, 2011

The Brass Verdict

Everybody lies. 

Cops lie.  Lawyers lie.  Witnesses lie.  The victims lie.

A trial is a contest of lies.  And everybody in the courtroom knows this.  The judge knows this.  Even the jury knows this.  They come into the building knowing they will be lied to.  They take their seats in the box and agree to be lied to.

Michael Connelly, where have you been hiding all this time?

I had picked up Lincoln Lawyer to read simply because I saw the previews for the movie and I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie.  A bit of a quirk I have.  It also helped that it was the first book in the Mickey Haller series - another little quirk I have.  I have to read a series of books in order or it will bother me.  Loved Lincoln Lawyer.  Loved it.

I downloaded The Brass Verdict to my Kindle hoping that the first book wasn't just a fluke.  Nope.  Once again Connelly has proven himself to be a master at combining engrossing plots with compelling characters.  It kept me entertained from the opening sentence through all the twists to the end of the book. 

Checking out his website, Michael Connelly has at least 25 books for to me to add to my 'to read' list out on Goodreads.  I hope that each one I pick up is as good as the last!

No comments: