Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Italian Meatball Soup

I am working hard these days to establish a harmonious relationship with my slow cooker.  In the past I have tried recipes that people have raved about, only to be disappointed in the watery, usually overcooked mess that awaited me.  It would just be so nice to have a nice, hot and GOOD meal waiting for me when I come home from work.

Cook's Illustrated is one of my favorite magazines.  I find the man himself to be a little pretentious, so I can't watch the episodes of America's Test Kitchen on the weekend.  I will freely admit that their dedication in trying 50 different lemon meringue pie recipes have saved me the trouble of trying to find what I think to be THE ultimate recipe.  Rarely have one of their recipes steered me wrong.

This year they came out with a first for them - a slow cooker cookbook titled Slow Cooker Revolution.  I admit it, I was sucked in by the title:  One Test Kitchen.  30 Slow Cookers.  200 Amazing Recipes.  I'm thinking if you have 30 slow cookers lined up to test out the same recipe, then perhaps I can put my trust in the results.

Madeleine is a fan of Italian Wedding Soup so when I saw the recipe in the book I decided to give it a try.  Now, I've tried the 'open a can and dump in' type recipes and have been disappointed in the past.  I was willing to throw a little more effort into it so the meal wouldn't get pushed to the back of the refrigerator and then eventually thrown out.  This recipe didn't take any less time to throw together than a normal soup recipe but the bonus was I was able to leave the house while it cooked.

The original recipe called for meatloaf mix and kale.  I used ground beef since it is easier to find and spinach instead of the kale to make it more kid friendly.  It really came out very good and I never would have guessed it came from a slow cooker.  Even better, both kids cleaned their bowls.  You can't beat that kind of recommendation!

Italian Meatball Soup
Slow Cooker Revolution

2 slices white bread
1/2 cup milk
1 pound ground beef, 93%
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
3 tablespoons minced parsley
1 whole egg yolk
6 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 whole onion -- minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 cups chicken broth
5 ounces spinach leaf, whole -- chopped
6 ounces orzo

Mash bread and milk into paste in a large bowl using a fork. Mix in ground beef, Parmesan, parsley, egg yolk, 3 garlic cloves, oregano, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper using hands. Pinch off and roll into tablespoon sized meatballs (about 30 - 35 total).

Microwave meatballs on plate until fat renders and meatballs are firm, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour off fat and transfer meatballs to slow cooker.

Microwave onions, remaining garlic cloves, oil and red pepper flakes in bowl, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.

Add broth, cover and cook until meatballs are tender, about 4-6 hours on low.

Let soup settle for 5 minutes and then remove fat from surface using a large spoon, Stir in orzo, cover and cook on high until tender, 20 - 30 minutes. Add spinach to wilt. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with additional Parmesan.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 229 Calories; 8g Fat (33.3% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber

No comments: