Friday, December 16, 2011

Festive Cherry Drops

I've been without my Kitchen Aid stand mixer all week.  I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to put the paddle (which is not coated) into the dishwasher.  I took it out of the cabinet and went to put it in the mixer and noticed that my hand had turned black.  Hmm.  I called Kitchen Aid in a panic (yep, they answered at 8 PM on a Friday night) and told me that it started to oxidize.  A little Bar Keeper's Friend and I should be back in business.  Only problem is I either keep forgetting to pick it up in the store or when I do remember, they don't carry it.

So, I've been baking double batches of cookies using a hand mixer.  At one point, Christopher wanted to *help* me and the mixer ended up on the floor and cracked.  I was able to get it back together but I swear if I hold it a certain way it shocks me.  Maybe I need to make a list and put Bar Keeper's Friend at the top of it.

I love the combination of fruit and chocolate so that may be one of the reasons why this cookie is at the top of my list.   I found it in one of those Land O Lakes supplements years ago and have been making it ever since.  I make sure to leave a tablespoon or so of the cherry juice and it tints the cookies a light pink.  They freeze well as long as the drizzle has a chance to dry before putting them in there. 

Festive Cherry Drops
Land O Lakes

Cookie
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter -- softened
1 whole egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 ounces maraschino cherries -- well drained, chopped
                       
Drizzle
2/3 cup real semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons shortening

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking powder. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Add cherries; stir into dough.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire cooling rack. Cool completely.

Place chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100% power), stirring occasionally, until melted (30 to 45 seconds). Drizzle cooled cookies with melted chocolate. Let stand until chocolate is set.

Yield:  3 1/2 dozen

No comments: