Saturday, July 19, 2008

Adeventures in Potty Training

I am really trying my best to get on track and post a couple of times a week but the days just seem to get away from me!

David started back at physical therapy this week so that is a good thing. The only appointment we could get one day this week was 8:15. Since I knew we couldn't get Madeleine up to daycare and then drive downtown to the hospital I figured we'd have breakfast in the cafeteria while we waited for him.

Everything was great. We were sitting at the table sharing some scrambled eggs, a biscuit and fruit (OK, I wasn't getting any of the fruit) and she was chatting up a storm about ... something (I'll admit it - I don't get 1/2 of what she says sometimes). All of a sudden she stand up on her chair and starts yelling:

'"Mommy! Mommy! Potty mommy! Poopy! POOPY! POTTY!"

As one can imagine, this loud announcement was made just as there was a lull in the conversations around us. I heard a few giggles. As any mom who has gone through potty training knows, she says she has to go and you go. NOW. I closed up our container of food (HA, I knew I was being smart getting a take-out container) and a nurse pointed us in the direction of the nearest rest room, which wasn't all that near.

Let me start by saying public rest rooms gross me out. I really hate them and it makes queasy thinking about all the public rest rooms we will be visiting during this potty training experience. Despite my pleadings, I cannot get Madeleine to stand still and not touch anything. She has to investigate and touch everything. Everything. Blech.

Good mom that I am, I got her in the tiny bathroom, covered the seat with toilet paper, got her skirt and pull-up down and actually got her to hold onto me and not the toilet (blech). Then we waited. And waited. Nothing.

"Madeleine, don't you need to use the potty?"

"No mommy, Ma'line just tooted"

Sigh.

1 comment:

Scarehaircare said...

Do you realize how HARD it is not to LOL late at night after reading this? Yep, I've been there. My kids usually like to wait until we are in church and there is a pause from the speaker at the podium. :)