Sunday, January 4, 2009

It was bound to happen one day ....

I have a vague memory of laughing at my friend Carrie's story about how her son locked her out of the house. Well guess what happened tonight.

I ran out to the garage and grabbed some pulled pork out of the freezer to defrost for supper and realized I forgot the homemade barbecue sauce. I went back out to the garage and turned around in time to see the door close. No big deal, I thought, as I hunted in the freezer.

"I locked the door mommy!" Madeleine squeals from the other side of the door.

No way. I flew to the door and tried to open it up. Sure enough, she had locked the door on me.

I tried to get her to unlock the door. "I can't mommy. It needs to be locked."

I sent her downstairs to get David (Mr. Oblivious) to come up and unlock the door. I heard her playing in the kitchen, I heard her talking to Sophie and I finally heard her going downstairs. I waited and waited and waited.

I started pounding on the door, yelling for him. Nothing. Madeleine comes back up stairs. "You making noise mommy." YOU THINK.

"Madeleine, please unlock the door so mommy can come back in."

"I can't mommy. Too hard"

"Please go downstairs and tell daddy that mommy is stuck in the garage."

"OK"

I waited and waited and waited. I thought about going around the back of the house to the basement door and just scaring the crap out of David, but the stone steps leading around the side of the house were icy before the ice storm last night and I was only wearing slippers. I figured if I opened the garage door and rang the front door they'd both ignore it, figuring I'd get it. I started pounding on the door again. Madeleine came back upstairs.

"Is daddy coming upstairs to unlock the door?"

"No. He is watching football." NICE.

I finally got her to twist the lock so I could get the door opened. I went downstairs.

David looks up, "Why were you banging up there?"

"Didn't she tell you she locked me in the garage?"

"She told me mommy was stuck in the garage but I didn't know what she meant. You were making a lot of noise."

Seriously dude. Our neighbor across the street is getting a key ASAP.

2 comments:

Scarehaircare said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh, yes, I know exactly how you feel. My situation was that my son locked us out of the house. I had to call a locksmith. The next day, my son did it agian. I called the same locksmith. I decided not to leave the house for the rest of the week until Mr. Wonderful came home from a business trip and I could make a copy of his house key.

Does your family now understand to investigate all banging noises they hear?

Four Hours from Anywhere said...

David is under strict instructions to invesigate all banging noises. Madeleine has also been told, several times she can close doors but not lock them. So far, so good. She shuts the door and will say 'don't lock'. We'll see how long it lasts.