Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Grilled Meatloaf

I took out 2 pounds of ground beef out of the freezer and was trying to figure out what to do with it.  I wasn't in the mood for hamburgers and I was at a loss at what to do with it.  Meatloaf always goes over well here with the kids, but I didn't want to heat up the kitchen.  I remembered a recipe I saw someplace for meatloaf burgers but then wondered if I couldn't just make a regular one and cook it on the grill.

Good ole Google had a gazillion hits for 'grilled meatloaf'.  I wasn't looking for a recipe as much as a method.  Found one that simply called for cooking it on top of a piece of aluminum foil.  Seemed easy enough to try.

With the 2 pounds of ground beef I ended up making 2 meatloaves.  I sprayed the foil (one for each loaf) placed them on cookie sheets before putting the meatloaf on, hoping for an easy transfer to the grill.  The grill heated up to 600 degrees (guess I didn't need to have all 4 burners in high).  I transferred the meatloaf on the foil to the grill, cooked them  for 10 minutes then reduced the burners down to low under the meatloaf but left the other one on high.  About 35 minutes later (while the kids splashed in their pool) supper was done.

I thought it was a success.  There was a nice crust on the bottom and the meatloaf was nice and moist.  The little guy scarfed it down, then again he has been caught eating both dirt and dog food so I am not sure how much one should trust his taste buds!

Mini Meat Loaves
Cooking Light Magazine, 2003
Yield: 4 servings

1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 pound ground sirloin
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°.  Combine ketchup and mustard, stirring well with a whisk. Reserve 2 1/2 tablespoons ketchup mixture. Combine remaining ketchup mixture, beef, and next 6 ingredients (beef through egg) in a large bowl, stirring to combine.

Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf; place loaves on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray.

Spread about 2 teaspoons reserved ketchup mixture evenly over each loaf. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until done.

No comments: