Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sizzling Beef and Scallions

Who doesn't want to get something relatively healthy AND tasty on the table in 30 minutes or less?  While I like to cook and actually enjoy spending time in the kitchen there are days that I just want to get something on the table fast without having to go through a drive-thru.

So I turned to the stack of Rachael Ray magazines I have next to the bed (OK, there are a lot more than just Rachael Ray but she IS the queen of 30 minute meals) and picked out a stir fry recipe I had all the ingredients for.  It took me an hour and 15 minutes.  Rachael Ray must not have a 4 year old holper and a 1 year old trying to climb her leg while she cooks.

I couldn't bring myself to use 6 tablespoons of oil so I sprayed my pan with PAM and only used a little bit of oil when adding the eggs.  My holper decided we needed to use the peas and carrot frozen mix and I added 8 oz of sliced mushrooms.  My rice was cooked at the same time so I skipped the last step altogether.

Once I got everyone either coloring with or eating crayons (kidding - I caught him before he swallowed any) it did come together rather quickly.  It is best to have everything all cut up and ready to go as a stir-fry goes pretty quickly.

Sizzling Beef and Scallions
Everyday with Rachael Ray

8 ounces London broil, sliced into short, thin strips  (I used sirloin)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil   (used less than 1 T total)
10 scallions, green parts thinly sliced, white parts cut into 1-inch pieces
2/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
2/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 cups cooked white rice, chilled

1.  In a medium bowl, toss the beef with 1 tablespoon soy sauce. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes; transfer to a bowl.

2.  In the skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites, bell pepper and ginger and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes; stir in the peas. Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil and pour in the eggs. Stir the eggs until they begin to set, then stir in the vegetables. Add the egg-vegetable mixture to the beef; stir in the sugar and the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce.

3.  Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rice, breaking up any clumps, then cook, without stirring, until heated through, 2 minutes. Stir in the beef mixture and scallion greens.

No comments: