Thursday, June 17, 2010

Jerk Shrimp with Grilled Onion, Avocado, and Mango Salsa

Summer is here!  I love the warm weather but I hate heating up the kitchen to cook.  Back in the day, when I was a carefree single person,  I lived on salads in the summer.  A lot of that had to do with living in Phoenix though.  By the time July rolled around and we were in the 110 range you weren't going to catch me turning on an oven OR standing in front of an open flame.  I think if I tried to serve them salads for supper every night they'd start rebelling by the end of the week.

This one was fairly easy to put together but the next time I will be more than happy to fork the extra $2 a pound for the already peeled and deveined shrimp.  I'm not even sure what I was thinking when I bought them with the shells on.  I would also peel them entirely instead of leaving the tails on.  I am not a fan of having to pick them up one by one to eat, especially when you have the salsa to eat them with.  Plus they turn your fingers an orangey red color -  not all that attractive! 

I only use 1/2 of the cayenne pepper so there wouldn't be too much heat for Madeleine.  I'd also double the salsa next time.  The sweetness was great with the spicy shrimp.

Jerk Shrimp with Grilled Onion, Avocado, and Mango Salsa
Coastal Living
Yield: 4 servings

1 mango, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 avocado, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 pounds unpeeled large raw shrimp
1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons Jamaican Jerk Rub
Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl, and set salsa aside.
Peel shrimp, leaving tails on; devein. Toss shrimp and onion with oil in a large bowl, sprinkle with Jamaican Jerk Rub, and toss to coat. Grill shrimp and onion over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 6 minutes, or just until shrimp turn pink, turning once. Chop onion and add to salsa mixture, stirring gently. Serve shrimp with salsa.

Jamaican Jerk Rub
1/3 cup paprika
2 tablespoons ground allspice
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper


Combine all ingredients in a bowl; mix well. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: