Sunday, November 20, 2011

Spiced Pumpkin Bars

Fall is my favorite time of year.  Fires in the fireplace, cool weather, football and brightly colored leaves on the trees.  Of course I can't leave out apples, pumpkin and the smell of cinnamon.

This is one of my favorite recipes.  I have no idea where I found it, but I used to make them for Thanksgiving every single year.  After I moved away from home I still made them every year, bringing them into work so I could get my fix.  Haven't made them in a few years and was thisclose to making them today until I realized I didn't have the right size pan anymore. 

Too bad someone is still napping otherwise I think I could talk myself into going shopping for a pan.

Spiced Pumpkin Bars
Yield:  24 bars

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4  whole eggs
15 ounces canned pumpkin
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup canola oil
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
Pecan halves (optional)
In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl beat together eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the flour mixture; beat until well combined. Spread batter into an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

In a medium mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Frost pumpkin bars. If desired, top with pecan halves. If I don't have pecan halves I'll often sprinkle nutmeg on top.  Cut into squares. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 3 days.

No comments: