Monday, November 21, 2011

There's a monster in my refrigerator

Oh wait, that's my turkey!

I may have gotten a little carried away this year when I bought my turkey.  In my defense, I was in a rush, trying to get home before the bus did.  I was at the local HyVee looking at all the frozen turkeys in front of me, trying to find one that wasn't injected with a salt solution so I could brine it.  There were a ton of small looking one (to me anyway).  I found one that looked to be of a decent size and tossed it in my cart.  Sure, the cart shuddered when I dropped it in and listed to the left when I pushed it but eh, I was in a rush.

I got home and couldn't get it in the refrigerator without having to take out one of the shelves.  I checked out the tag and was a little shocked - 23 pounds.  Whoops.  I just went back and checked my blog post from last year and saw that my turkey was *only* 16 pounds.  Did I mention it is only the 4 of us for dinner?

While I do not regret the size of the turkey (although than means I need to get up at least an hour earlier on Thanksgiving) I DO regret not cutting the tag off.  Not cutting the tag off means I get to listen to someone (everyday, several times a day) mention the size of the bird.  Funny thing though, he'll be the first one digging into the leftovers.

No comments: