Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring, where are you????

I knew the weather warm up was too good to be true. All week it has been dropping in temperature and this morning I woke up to find some ice pellets on the balcony outside of our bedroom. They are predicting 1-2 inches of snow for later today.

Madeleine and I were up and about early this morning. I am a little short on iron these days (failed my test last week) so in addition to the iron supplement I am now taking, I am looking for more iron-rich foods to eat. Grocery store had bags of fresh spinach on sale for 99 cents this week (instead of the usual $3) so I picked up a couple of bags. Madeleine and I made one of my favorite breakfast recipes, Spinach-Cheese Bake. I use real eggs instead of the egg substitute. Good thing I bought an extra dozen eggs yesterday at the store as 2 mysteriously hit the floor when my back was turned (SPLAT! Uh oh, Sophie. That NOT nice).

Spinach-Cheese Bake
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Cooking spray
2 (6-ounce) packages fresh baby spinach
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 3/4 ounces)
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1 cup egg substitute
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Preheat oven to 350°.

Pour the butter into the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; tilt dish to coat. Place spinach evenly in bottom of dish; sprinkle evenly with cheeses.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Pour milk mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.Yield: 12 servings

CALORIES 157 (34% from fat); FAT 6g (sat 3.7g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.4g); IRON 2.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 18mg; CALCIUM 263mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15.1g; SODIUM 494mg; PROTEIN 10.8g; FIBER 1.6g

I was also looking through the cabinet and found a 1/2 empty box of Cocoa Krispies and a bag of chocolate marshmallows (impulse buy). We made some Rice Krispie treats. I was short a cup of cereal, so I use 5 cups and placed them in a 8 inch square pan instead of a bigger one. Haven't tried them yet and I am hoping they are not too chocolaty. Not a huge fan of chocolate these days.

No comments: