Friday, February 4, 2011

Hot Crab Dip

I'll admit it - I am a shopper.  OK, I am a big shopper but, in my defense, I rarely ever pay full price for anything.  I have been known though, to stock up on things when they are on sale, hence the good sized storage room with shelving units we have downstairs.

I have about 6 cans of crab downstairs on the shelf and I knew I had a recipe for a hot dip somewhere that would use up 2 of them.  It is just as added bonus that it also uses up 2 of the 5 blocks of cream cheese I have in the refrigerator.  In my defense, I didn't buy the cream cheese just because it was on sale.  I had planned to make a cheesecake at Christmas but the sides of my springform pan are MIA.

This one is a snap to put together but it does taste best warm.  I mix this up beforehand and store in the refrigerator.  When the first guests arrive, I spread it in the pie plate and then bake.  I once tried keeping it warm in a crockpot but it dried out pretty quickly.  I serve with whatever crackers I have on hand - usually Wheat Thins.

Hot Crab Dip
Philadelphia Cream Cheese Cookbook

2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
2 cans  (6 oz. each) crabmeat, drained, flaked
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup sliced green onions  
1 tablespoon  horseradish
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. 

Spoon into 9-inch pie plate or quiche dish.  Bake 25 to 30 min. or until lightly browned. Serve with assorted crackers.

No comments: